General Lee was purchased from Tom Hahn of Neah Bay in early 2010 to replace the Tug Stinger which had gone to the breakers 3 months before. This nameless vessel had been working log rafts until the work slowed up and it was stored on a lowboy trailer where she could have some hull work done and a fresh coat of paint. When the log work dried up completely he decided to list it with a local broker. The plan was for the seller to run her to Seattle, but the weather window closed off and she was eventually trucked to Lake Union and offloaded by a travel lift. After a half hour of battery charging and checking fluids she was heading to the Fremont Tugboat yard under her own power. Once she was dockside all the hoses, electrical, batteries, exhaust and windows were removed and most of the parts went in the garbage. All the rubber mats on deck were removed to reveal what we already knew, 90 percent of the deck would have to be cut out and replaced. Sawzall and cutting wheels worked for 2 full days until all that was left was the 2 small sections covering the fuel tanks which were re covered by the last owner. A boat that was running a week before was now just pieces and a deck you could not even stand on. The haul out schedule was made and our engineering department went to work. Meaning, Tom Bulson with a pencil and a fresh sketch pad for notes and drawings. The house was removed and put on a trailer heading to Tom's shop in Greenwood. A new steel dash and console was fabricated and the front window was reduced in size to accommodate storage on the forward deck. New mast was constructed and new hand railings were installed as well as instrument panel and a visor to give the house some character and keep the rain from running in the windows. Track was installed for the new door, fuel venting and lighting brackets were welded in place before delivering to the shipyard for installation. All new deck sections were fit and welded in place, as well as new 4 inch bulwark with top cap and all new pad eyes for tire installation. The stern fender was installed and fairing blocks rolled and welded into place. This was the same fender that had been on the Stinger for almost 20 years and 2 trips to Russia on charter. New 24" stern hatch ring was welded in place and new bow bitts fabricated and installed. Fuel Tanks were cleaned and crossover piping and site tubes  were installed as well as new gaskets for the inspection hatches. All spaces were needle gunned, primed and painted. The entire boat was re wired and changes were made in the cooling system to provide for better engine room access and more effective exchange of coolant. All new exhaust and muffler were installed and welded in place. Finally all the windows were installed and all safety equipment was put in place. It was a 28 day turn around and on day 29 she was put to work towing floats for the Seattle Boat Show. Many more additions and modifications were made over the years to come, but in 2017 she finally received a Twin Disc MG-509 gear with a 3 to 1 reduction which came out of the Western Star. A new 4 blade wheel, shaft, custom rudder, and dripless seal were installed and now the boat is truly complete, quiet and a joy to operate. But like every other boat, they are never ever done. For those of you who wonder where the name came from and how we choose a boat name, the answer here is simple. We already had a Dixie in the fleet so the casual comment was made that we needed another southerner. So, who comes to mind when you think about the war of Northern Aggression. None other than General Robert E. Lee the hero of the Confederacy. Or did we just think it would be good for a laugh. You be the judge.